Click here to close window.
Newton Square Shopping Center Covington, Georgia
One year old shopping center with an onsite wastewater treatment plant and drainfield located southeast of Atlanta, Georgia.
Food Service Tenants:
- Kroger Supermarket
- McDonalds Restaurant
- Subway Restaurant
- Peking Restaurant
Non Food Service Tenants:
- Dry Cleaners
- Great Clips Hair Salon
- GNC Nutrition Center
- Mail Box Etc.
- Dentist Office
- Eye Care Center
- In Home Cover Center
- Miscellaneous Other Retail
- Failing Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Odor so bad that several local residents complained on a daily basis and considered legal action.
- Local customers threatening to take their business elsewhere.
- County health department threatening to close the facility due to the health hazard of raw sewage running out all over the ground.
- Restaurant tenant being sought for open out-parcel lot but constrained by limited capability of the wastewater treatment plant to handle high strength waste.
- Owner facing likely near term failure of the drain-field and reduced property values.
- Repair or replace existing treatment plant.
- Save the existing drainfield if possible.
- Provide a long term performance warranty.
- Restore the confidence of the neighborhood by eliminating the odor problem.
- Meet county discharge requirements.
- Provide the flexibility to retrofit or expand the treatment system to accommodate future tenants and their particular waste characteristics.
- Provide simple cost effective monitoring and maintenance.
The NCS Solution:
NCS maintains a unique database of wastewater characteristic and flows from commercial facilities located across North America. The NCS database includes major supermarket chains, restaurants, truck stops, convenience stores, golf courses, schools, bakeries, mobile home parks and office facilities. Utilizing this database, NCS developed wastewater flows and waste strength characteristics for this site. The design criteria also included the possible addition of a major chain restaurant in an open out parcel lot.
NCS then designed a wastewater treatment system utilizing the patented Nibbler process. Each Nibbler system is sized to meet the specific needs of a site and are uniquely capable of handling the high strength waste and harsh chemicals discharged from facilities like Newton Square.
Design based on "actual" flows and waste strength allows NCS to reduce cost while ensuring adequate treatment capacity. The NIBBLER systems ensures that actual treatment performance will meet design discharge standards.
NCS installed a 10,000 gal/day 90 pod Nibbler system in March 1998 and provided the owner with the standard Nibbler 30-year performance warranty.
With over 400 systems installed since 1986, NCS has a 100% track record of meeting design discharge standards.
- The foul odor problem was eliminated immediately.
- No more complaints from local residents.
- Effluent quality discharged to the drainfield substantially exceeds design standards.
- System now capable of digesting high strength wastewater produced by food service entities.
- Restaurant tenant moved in to open out-parcel lot.
- Eliminated threat of reduction in property value caused by problems with the existing on site system.